Transect WalkerTM v2
To register for the latest version of Transect WalkerTM v2.5, click here.
You may wish to first read the which apply.
After registering you will be able to download your free copy of TRANSECT WALKERTM v2 software, designed by Pisces Conservation, Butterfly Conservation and the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology.
Transect Walker v2 replaces v1.3, released in May 2001, and represents a significant advancement while retaining a familiar layout. Files created using v1.3 are not directly compatible with v2 and must be converted using the 'Translator' facility that comes with the new version.
The software has been developed as part of UK Butterfly Monitoring Scheme (UKBMS) project, led by Butterfly Conservation and the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology and funded by a multi-agency consortium led by Defra.
Software Uses and Functions
Transect Walker v2 performs the same functions as v1.3, which include:
- Data entry of recorder, owner, site, habitat and management information
- Data entry of full weekly count data (weather and butterfly counts for each section)
- Data entry/import of annual summary data - weekly totals and section totals
- Customisation of species lists for data entry
- Production of annual summary tables
- Automated calculation of annual totals and indices of abundance for each species
- Plotting of flight periods, indices over time (including statistical significance of the population trend), and correlation's between species
- Export of BNM-style butterfly record data (grid ref., species, date, number seen, etc.) as text file for distribution mapping
- Copy and paste of data (annual summary tables, graphs etc.) into text, MS Word and MS Excel files etc.
- Context sensitive help
With Transect Walker v2 you can now also:
- Add additional species (including other insects) and weeks (beginning and end of the standard season)
- Enter more than one walk in a week
- Generate a less robust index for sparse data (in addition to a validated BMS-style index)
- More easily transfer data to co-ordinators/BC HQ via a Save and Package to email facility
Downloading version 2
Once you have filled in a short registration form, and read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions associated with the software, you will be able to download the Transect WalkerTM v2.5 program and documentation.